Step by step recipe of White chicken korma with almonds with photos.
Hey there! Did you know many people get confused between white korma, white karahi, and white handi. Some people think all are same and they end up mixing ingredients. Although, ingredient are similar but they have different aromas and appearance. All karahi, korma or handi can be made with chicken, beef, mutton or lamb.
What is White Karahi?
Karahi literally means wok in Urdu. When meat is cooked in karahi with yogurt and cream, lots of ginger and jalapeno pepper are used . The result is a yummy light karahi.
What is White Handi?
This is another creamy delicacy. Handi is clay pot or terra-cotta pot. When boneless meat is cooked in handi with green chili, pepper and roasted cumin and coriander, the result is a handi. Sometimes, coconut milk is also added.
What is White Korma?
Like traditional korma,( also called kurma and qorma) which has fried golden onion, a variety of garam masala and yogurt. The white korma has onion paste , variety of garam masala and almond paste, poppy or cashew paste. It is highly aromatic.
How to make White chicken korma with almonds ?
- 1 tablespoon ginger paste or 1 inch ginger (adrak)
- 1 tablespoon garlic paste or 3 cloves (lahsun)
- 1 tablespoon green chilli paste or 3-4 whole (hari mirch)
- 150 gm,1 medium onion , cut in chunks (piyaz)
- ¼ cup de silver almond (badaam bagair chilkay), few more for garnish
- ¼ cup desiccated coconut (sookha khopra) or 2 tbs coconut milk powder or 1 tbs coconut cream
- ½ cup vegetable oil (tel)
- 150 gm or 1 medium onion , sliced (piyaz)
- 6 black pepper (kali mirch)
- 4 cloves (laung)
- 4 green cardamom crushed (choti elaichi)
- 1 black cardamom (bari elaichi)
- 1 inch cinnamon (dal cheeni)
- 4 round red chili (gol lal mirch)
- 1 teaspoon cumin roasted and crushed (kuta zeera)
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder (sukha dhanya)
- ½ kg chicken (murgi)
- ½ cup greek yogurt or 250 gm yogurt (dahi)
- ½ cup water or more
- ¼ cup cream optional
- ½ teaspoon black pepper powder (kali mirch)
- ¼ teaspoon all spice powder (garam masala)
Dry roast almonds and let it cool for a minute. Grind almonds and coconut into a fine paste. Add some milk if required to form a paste. Set aside
Make a fine paste green chilies, ginger garlic and 1 onion. Set aside.
Fry sliced onions in oil until golden brown and set aside.
In same onion oil, fry black pepper, clove, green and black cardamom, round red chili in oil for 30 seconds. Add cumin and coriander, stir and add onion paste immediately.
Fry until color changes and oil separates. (3 minutes)
Add chicken and fry with constant stirring until color of chicken changes from pink to brown.(5 minutes)
Add almond and coconut paste, yogurt and salt. Cover and cook for 15 minutes on medium flame.
Next add cream, black pepper powder and all spice powder, stir well. Add ½ cup water for gravy. Cover and cook on medium low flame until oil separates.
Garnish with fried onions and almond slices.
Delicious white korma is ready to serve.
Step by step recipe of White chicken korma with almonds
Make a paste of ginger, garlic, green chili and onions. Set aside.
Next made paste of almonds. Use some milk if required.(If you don’t like gritty texture of coconut, you can add coconut milk or coconut cream instead for creamy texture.)
Fry an onion and set aside.
In same oil fry whole spices first then powdered spices.
Immediately, add onion paste so spices do not burn and loose its flavors.
For for 2-3 minutes until oil separates.
Fry chicken in masala until color changes. (5 minutes.)
Now, mix in yogurt and almond coconut paste.
Mix well. Add 1/4 cup water and chicken will cook in natural water of yogurt.
Cover and cook until chicken is tender for 10-15 minutes.
Add cream when chicken is cooked but it is optional.
Add all spice powder, black pepper powder and almonds halves.
Simmer on low flame until oil separates. White badami korma is ready to serve. Garnish with fried onions.