Tamarind and Dates Chutney with Jaggery, Tasty Imli ki chutney gur aur khajoor ka sath ki step by step recipe with photos. Among most common sub continent chutneys are Tamarind (imli) chutney and Coriander Mint Chutney. Simple Imli chutney is super handy as it stays good for long in fridge. Needs hardly any effort to make and goes well with Samosa, Pakora, mixed Chat, Cholay, stuffed paratha, chatni roll, bun kabab, tikka or any other and almost with any desi snack.
This healthy Tamarind sauce has dates and jaggery as natural sweetener. Plus dates also give a thicker texture to the chutney. Cumin powder gives an extra punch.I make large batch and freeze it in small bottles. So one small jars stay in fridge while others are frozen.You can use freezer bags too. The chutney get thawed really fast, so that is a plus too.
How to make Quick Tamarind and Dates Chutney with Jaggery
Author: Mariam Huzaifa
Recipe time: 30 min | Prep time:20 min |Cooking time: 10 min| Recipe type: Chutney, Sauce , Condiment | Cuisine: Indian, Pakistani, Bangladeshi | Serving:4 cups
- 500 gm,3 cups tamarind (imli)
- 250 gm, 1 cup jaggery (gur)
- 1 cup dates without seed (khajoor)
- 1-2 tsp red chili powder (lal mirch)
- 2 tsp cumin powder (zeera)
- 1/2 tsp salt, or to taste
- 3 tbs sugar
- 4 cups water
- Mix all in a pot, cook and let it cool.
- When cool strain through coarse strainer.
Step by step Tamarind and dates chutney, easy imli aur khajoor ki chutney recipe.
- In a pot take Tamarind (imli) and water.
- Add jaggery (gur) and sugar.
- Add other spices too, like red chili powder, cumin powder and salt.
- Remove seeds of dates.
- Add dates to the pot and start cooking on medium heat.
- As water boil tamarind gets soft and and jaggery and sugar melts.
- Break the lumps of tamarind and mix well.
- Cook well till dates, jaggery, tamarind all melts and forms a syrup. Add more water if required.(around 10 minutes of total cooking.)
- Adjust the taste and thickness of chutney at this stage.
- Put a coarse strainer on a large pot. Strain the mixture to remove imli seeds.
- Spread the mixture all over the walls of strainer and wipe the thick liquid from bottom. Repeat 3-4 time till you have dry left over.
- You may do this in batches if you have a small sieve or a large batch.
- Smooth and tasty imli chutney/ tamarind sauce is ready.
Best Imli Chutney storage:
- If using seed less tamarind straining not required and use 1.5 cup of seedless tamarind instead of 3 cups.
- Always store imli chutney in a clean jar in fridge.
- It stay good in fridge up to 15 days.
- You can store excess chutney in freezer, stays good more than two months.
- Jaggery can be substituted with sugar.
- Use clean spoon every time for serving.
- Discard, if you see fungus on top layer of chutney or it smells bad.