Step by step recipe of shahi tukray with photos.
As the name itself show Shahi Tukray, is a Mughal dessert. A similar dessert called’Double ka meetha’ also exist in Hyderabadi Cuisine. The recipe is very simple, the use of saffron and nuts makes it very tempting and aromatic; something fit for a royal grandeur.
Basically, it is made of crispy fried bread soaked in rich milk and sugar syrup. The syrup is flavored with saffron and cardamom. You can use cream or khoya (mava)or milk powder to add richness and thicken syrup or you can just cook the milk for long time to thicken on its own. In this recipe I use milk powder as it is easily available everywhere and speeds up cooking process.
I have made Shahi Tukra many many times but still I wanted to perfect it for a friends get to gather. So I tried a small batch
- of two bread for 2-3 person, more richer version with photos. Follow recipe step by step and you’ll literally end up licking.
Then for 16 friend I had to make two larges dishes, so I developed a more economical but very delicious recipe. I’m sharing half of that recipe
- of 8 breads for 8 -10 person, this is a very rich and heavy dessert, so remember to pair it with lighter food when you do Menu Planning.
How to make Shahi tukda, egg less bread pudding recipe.
This is short recipe for your sweet tooth, tastes heavenly, can be served warm or cold.
Author: Mariam Huzaifa
Recipe time: 30 minutes|Prep time: 5 min| Cooking time: 25 minutes| Cuisine: Mughlai, Indian, Pakistani| Recipe type:Dessert,egg free | Serving : 2
- 2 sliced dense bread (bakery bread)
- 2 cup milk
- 2 tbs milk powder (optional)
- 1 pinch saffron, heated and crushed
- 2-3 cardamom, seed removed and crushed.
- 1/2 cup oil or ghee
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 5 Pistachio, chopped
- 4 Almond, chopped
- Heat 1 and 1/2 cup milk in wide pan. Add sugar, cardomom, saffron and milk powder.
- Fry breads in oil or ghee on low flame until crispy golden. Dry excess oil on kitchen towel.
- Place fried bread on a dish, add remaining 1/2 cup milk. Soak for a minutes and and remove excess milk.(this step is not required if making in pan. Instead use whole 2 cups milk in 1st step)
- Add excess milk also to milk in pan. Cook milk syrup for 15-20 minutes until thick and deep yellow.
- Method 1( For shahi tukray in pan): Put fried breads in yellow milk syrup and simmer for 10 minutes on very low heat until milk thicken and bread soaks the syrup. Shahi tukray is ready to serve.
- Method 2(In Oven): Place bread in an oven proof dish , pour thick yellow milk syrup(running consistency) on bread and bake on 350 F for 7-10 minutes, until bread puffs up and syrup boils.
Garnish with roasted pistachios and almonds.
Step by Step Shahi Tukra Recipe, Bread pudding without eggs.
With two breads.
In a pan take 1 and 1/2 cup milk and add sugar. Cook on medium low flame, keep stirring.
Heat saffron for 2-3 second. Don’t burn it. Just slightly heat till you see moisture released. Remove from heat and let the saffron get cool. When it gets crispy. Crush it between hands and add to milk.
Add saffron and crushed cardamom seeds to milk.
Also at this stage you can add milk powder. But milk powder is optional.
While milk is reducing on medium heat, fry the breads.
All the oil is absorbed in the bread, make sure your bread is crunchy crisp.Soak bread in half cup of milk. Then remove excess milk and add to the milk in the pan. (If making in pan this step is not required, instead use 2 cups milk in 1 st step.)
For shahi tukda in pan: Milk started to thicken. You can add both breads and simmer for 10 minutes on very low flame. And your Shahi tukray will be ready to serve.
For Shahi Tukray in Oven: Place breads in a oven proof dish. Add the milk syrup on bread and bake at 350F for 7-10. Until you see bread puffed up like in the photo below.
Garnsish with roasted pistachios and almonds and serve.
Serve hot or chilled to your taste.Enjoy.
Recipe for making Shahi tukray with eight breads.
Recipe time: 1 hour 10 minutes|Prep time: 10 min| Cooking time: 60 minutes|Serving :8 -10
- 8 sliced dense breads (bakery bread)
- 1 1/2 liter milk
- 1 cup milk powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup oil for frying
- 5 green cardamom, seed separated and grounded.
- a pinch of saffron, 20 strands approx
- pistachio, roasted for garnish
- almond, roasted for garnish
same as in above recipe.
- Soak bread in 1 cup milk instead on half.
- Set breads in two layers, four bread in each layer and set in large square dish.
- First pour 1/4 syrup on first layer of bread. The pour remaining syrup on top layer.
- Rest of the steps are same.
- Garnish with roasted nuts.
- The dish is best serves freshly made.
- You can make it a day ahead too.
- If the dish doesn’t develop naturally creamy top. You can heat two table of cream with 2 tbs of sugar and saffron. And spread on top.