Step by step ginger tea / adrak chai with photos. Various combination with cardamom, fennel, cinnamon and mint are also suggested.
Ginger is a root used as spice. It is one of my favorite spices. It has slightly tangy taste when added to tea. Now, I love variety. I just can’t go to kitchen and cook the same tea everyday like a robot. If I have to; every sip of that flat tea will tell you that I can’t do the same thing with same passion everyday. When it comes to tea, I’m not satisfied until I have tried every known or imaginable combination. And then….I can’t select the best. Because it all depends on your mood. Take the example of this ginger tea. When you have cold, ginger green tea seems best. When you have headache, plain and strong ginger tea never lets you down. On a tired day when you want to relax, ginger and fragrant cardamom tea seem is a hit. And after spicy dinner, ginger mint tea is a good option. For heart burns, ginger fennel tea combo kicks it. So you see how would you decide the best. After giving a good thinking for this post, I thought to leave it to the readers. Does anyone else also feel the same as me?
I also make
In first part of post, I have shared ginger tea recipe with green tea. You can omit green tea and make simple ginger tea too. In second part, I shared ginger milk tea / adrak wali chai recipe. For other optional combination I have suggested ingredients with measure.
Benefits of Ginger tea: It helps in
- Relieving headache
- motion sickness and nausea
- Indigestion, stomach discomfort
- Cough and cold
- Relieves stress
- Menstrual pain
- Reduces inflammation
- Blood circulation
- weight loss
How to make Ginger Green tea recipe
I have shared my best combination for cold weather but make adjustments to suit your taste.
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger for strong or ½ tablespoon for light tea,
- 1 inch cinnamon broken into chips or ½ teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1 teaspoon green tea
- 4-6 drops lemon juice or more
- 1½ tablespoon or less honey or maple syrup or sugar
Fill two cups of water to the brim and pour in pot or kettle. Bring it to boil.
Add ginger and cinnamon and simmer on medium heat for 5 minutes until color changes.
Add green tea, lemon and honey.
Boil for 30 secs.
Cover pot and turn off heat. Let tea steep for 3-4 minutes.
Reheat and serve.
If you want to make ginger tea without sweetener, add less ginger or it will get very spicy.
Step by step recipe of Ginger green tea
- Boil water with ginger and cinnamon.
- When color changes, add honey, lemon and green tea.
- Turn off heat and steep for 3-4 minutes.
- Strain and serve hot.
How to make ginger milk tea / Adrak wali chai
This tea does wonders when tired and sooth minor headaches, even relieves stress.
- 2 cups water
- 1¼ tablespoon freshly grated ginger for strong or 2 teaspoon for light
- 2 teaspoon black tea powder or tea bags,
- ½ cup milk
- 1½ tablespoon sugar
- 2 cardamom with skin, optional crushed to split open and release seed
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
Fill two cups of water and pour in pot or kettle. Bring it to boil.
Add ginger, cinnamon, cardamom and simmer on medium heat for 3-4 minutes until color changes.
Add black tea and let it boil on medium heat for 1-2 minutes.
Add milk and let it boil keeping a vigilant eye on tea. Two boils until it reached desired dark color.
Strain and serve,
Step by step recipe of Adrak chai, Ginger chai
- Boil water with ginger, cardamom and cinnamon.
- When color changes, turn off heat and steep for 3-4 minutes.
- Add black tea boil for 1 minute. Add milk and sugar.
- Boil for another 2 minutes.
- Strain and serve hot.
Tips for storing ginger tea:
- Freshly grated ginger is best but you can have it finely chopped in mixer and store in airtight container in fridge for 2 day or more.
- Leftover ginger tea without green tea can be stored in fridge. Add ice cubes and enjoy Ginger Ice tea.