Step by step recipe of Green Chutney Masala Chicken recipe with photos.
I make this chicken with coriander, mint and walnuts on one of those busy days (sometimes, busy is synonym of lazy) when I’m looking forward to a no chopping and no bhunofying recipe so this is a quick and easy chicken curry. The taste is light, aromatic and creamy with all the goodness of herbal greens.
Kids and hubby both love it. You can use any nuts but walnuts pair very well with these herbs. One thing you should be careful about in making any yogurt based curry is that add yogurt after chicken is tender. Secondly do no cover the pot after adding yogurt and also cook on low flame. Otherwise, yogurt releases it water and develops and curdled texture. You can also try these recipes. Kashmiri red chili chicken, White chicken Korma.
How to make Green Chutney Masala Chicken recipe
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil (tel)
- ½ kg chicken small pieces ( murgi)
- 5-6 green chillies or 1 tablespoon Green chilli paste(choti hari mirch)
- 1 inch ginger or ½ tablespoon ginger paste(adrak)
- 3 cloves garlic or ½ tablespoon garlic paste(lahsun)
- 1 medium onion or 100gm onion (piyaz)
- ½ tablespoon Cumin (zeera)
- 1⁄4 cup milk for blending
- 1 big bunch fresh coriander leaves (dhnaya)
- ½ bunch mint leaves (pudina)
- 6 walnuts or ¼ cup Walnut halves (akhroot)
- 1⁄4 cup milk for blending
- ¼ cup coconut milk powder or 3 tablespoon coconut cream(naryal ka doodh)
- 250 gm yogurt or 1 cup yogurt whipped ( dahi)
- 4 tablespoon cream optional
- Salt to taste
- ¼ teaspoon all spice powder (garam masala)
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper (kali mirch)
- roti or rice for serving.
In a food processor add green chili , ginger, garlic, onions and milk . Blend into a fine paste. Set aside.
Next blend coriander, mint, walnuts and milk into a paste. Add yogurt, coconut milk and cream to the paste. Mix well.
In a pot fry chicken in oil for few minutes until the pink color of chicken vanishes.
Add paste 1 to the chicken. Cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until chicken is tender.
Add paste 2 to chicken. Cook for another five minutes or until desired consistency is reached.
Garnish with garam masala and black pepper. Serve with roti or rice.
Walnuts can be substituted with cashew or almonds.
Step by step Green Chutney Masala Chicken recipe
Fry chicken in oil until color of chicken changes.
Make a paste of green chilies, garlic, ginger and onions with some milk.
Add the paste to chicken with cumin powder.
Cover and cook until chicken is tender. (10-15 minutes)
(While this step can be done before too. But I prefer doing it once chicken is in pot to save time.) Blend walnuts, coriander leaves and mints leaves into a green paste.
In a bowl mix green paste, yogurt, coconut milk, salt and cream.
Ready to go in chicken.
Add to the chicken cook on high flame for 5 minutes with out covering.
When desired consistency is reached and you see some oil from sides. Add garam masala and black pepper.